Thursday, June 13, 2013

Hollis Fast 5K

Raced the Hollis Fast 5K in New Hampshire for the first time tonight. The course drops several hundred feet over three miles and gives you a great chance to get a 5K PR. I was hoping to do that, but came up just short. I was well-trained... for a longer race. My weekly mileage has been in the high 30's lately, and I've brought my weight down to the low 170's, but I've only done a few track workouts, and short ones at that. So although the conditions were perfect at race time (temps in the high 50's with a light rain, heavier rain at the finish) I still only ran my third or fourth fastest 5K, a 19:33.

just before the finish of the 2013 Hollis Fast 5K

I enjoyed the race and am glad I did it and certainly would recommend it, but to be honest I'm not sure I'll do it again. The field was huge (it was a New England Grand Prix event this year) and the traffic was pretty heavy. And unless you do a 3-mile warmup from the finish, you have to take a bus to the start. All of which means it's quite a production for a short Thursday evening race. As an introvert I think I'm just more comfortable with smaller events. 

No comments:

Post a Comment