Wednesday, July 3, 2013

the perks of being a trailrunner


Went for a 4-5 mile run this evening at Mt. Tom. I met up with Nate and Dave of the 413 Trail Runners at the unofficial trailhead on Chapin Street in Easthampton at 7:15, and off we went up onto that thar hill. We ascended via the rapidly eroding old Reservation Road on the mountain's west side, then hopped onto trails once we crested the ridge. First on the D.O.C. Trail to Whiting Peak (pictured above) and then back on the Metacomet-Monadnock (M-M) Trail. We got to the Whiting Peak summit just before sunset, and man it could not have been nicer up there. It was quite warm and humid out, but a decent breeze kept the bugs at bay and the near-constant thunderstorms of the past week let up for a gorgeously-lit evening on the mountain.

This was only my third run since spraining my ankle on a short scouting run at Pisgah a little over 2 weeks ago, and I really babied it. I fell behind the guys a little bit on any downhills with tricky footing, but I generally kept up on flats and ascents. Which is good because it can really suck to feel like you're the anchor of any group. Despite the ankle being a little tender and stiff, I think it'll be OK. I iced it for 20 minutes when I got home and popped an ibuprofin PM for good measure. At this point it's mostly just a process of reconditioning it for regular running engagement.


No comments:

Post a Comment