Sunday, April 1, 2012

Dinosaur Footprints

I visited this quietly neato site called Dinosaur Footprints during a light drizzle today. The property, which is immediately adjacent to Rte. 5 in Holyoke, MA, is owned by the Trustees of Reservations and sits about a hundred feet from the west bank of the Connecticut River.

The sign says there are hundreds of footprints covering the small exposure of bedrock there. I'm sure a paleontologist (or even a well-informed child) would laugh at me, but I only saw a few dozen or so that I could definitely recognize as actual footprints. The rest just kind of looked like, um... little dents.

Anyway, this was one of the most distinct. I wasn't sure about visiting the site on a rainy day, but in some ways I think the moisture actually gave the imprints more visual definition, and it was fun to play around with the polarizer. The footprint is on the right, in case anyone was mistaking my left hand for the gnarly claw of a vicious velociraptor.


No comments:

Post a Comment