Tuesday, April 16, 2013

black is the color and none is the number

Boston,

I don't know what to say.

As a runner, as a marathoner, as a Massachusetts resident, as a New Englander, as an American, and just as a person. I feel sick and angry and sad. It's exasperating. It's infuriating. And it's devastating.

I've read a lot about religious fundamentalism lately, trying to understand why this world is the way it is. On some level, I can conceive of why a suicide bomber would detonate himself. Because he sincerely believes the other faith is wrong and immoral and that there will be a paradise waiting for him after his act of "holy" horror. And that's one dogma versus another. It's still repugnant and despicable and inexcusable, but I can conceive of what's going through their minds. But attacking things that have nothing to do with what you oppose? What the hell is that? That's like the mean kid who punches anyone and everyone at random because he's kind of just a sociopath at heart.

[In no way do I mean to imply that ANY act of terrorism is OK, and anyone who knows me is damn sure I wouldn't excuse one in the service of religion.]

Whatever sick shit is going through the heads of the people who did it, and I'm sure they feel they did a good thing on some level, I can't help but wonder what kind of twisted mind could possibly convince itself that it's righteous to destroy people's lives when they aren't doing a damn thing to impact you on any level.

The Boston Marathon. The Marathon. The event has meant so many things to so many people, but a common theme for all is that it's a celebration of life and health and joy. There is no dogma. There is no religion. There are no politics. Yes, there's red tape and bureaucracy and the like. But that's simply because it's gotten so big and takes place in a major metropolitan setting; it has to be that way. In essence, though, it's just a festival of fitness, for everyone to either earn their place in or enjoy the spectacle of. The best of what we all can be.

To everyone who was at the marathon or in Boston yesterday, I feel so much heartache for you and you have all of my sympathy. Courage to you.

Love,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment